Sibling Day 2009

We went to Nauvoo, Illinois. Since we stopped to get Warren north of Hannibal, we headed straight north in Missouri. We crossed into Iowa, passed through the town of Keokuk, then crossed the river into Illinois. Remember seeing the big drifts of water lillies in the river? That was oddest thing to me, but a man on the tour explained the water is very shallow and where the lillies stop, the water drops off. It was a Mormon settlement, or was, until they were all driven away. The remaining or rebuilt houses (mostly from logs) represent all the different trades the town had. We toured the brick maker and got a free mini souvenier brick, the wheelwright and got a free souvenier prairie diamond ring (an artfully bent horseshoe nail) and we toured several other buildings. We had dinner in Keokuk on the way home--had trouble finding a restaurant that wasn't fast food. It was a fun day. Sorry, this is all off the top of my head. I'm sure if I had taken the time, a nice little story would have developed. I'm learning to do things as the moment presents itself, otherwise it's gone and doesnt' get done. So I may re-do this whole article sometime.

1 comment: